Well, I certainly haven’t updated in a while! Sorry about that. This past Monday I finished my first year of graduate school so I was really busy writing papers and all of that. It feels great to be finished and now I only have one more semester left.
I don’t think I ever mentioned it before on my blog, but I am a huge Philadelphia Flyers fan…have been for years. I’m not sure if any of you have been following along with the NHL playoffs, but the flyers were I think the 5th team ever to force a game 7 after trailing in the series 3-0. My sister and I decided to buy tickets for the game Wednesday night when the Flyers tied the series at 3.
We had a great time and I am so happy that we decided to go. All of the fans were going crazy and my throat was killing by the end of the night.
Other than that, I went strawberry picking…probably my favorite thing to do this time of the year. haha. Fresh Jersey Strawberries don’t even compare to the strawberries you find at the food store. They are so much juicier and sweeter. I went with my sister and between the both of us we picked 20 pounds of strawberries!!!
Yum. We will definitely be eating every single one of them as well. I bet they will be gone by the end of the weekend!
How could I forget?? My cousin Michael and his wife Kim had their first baby on Wednesday as well!!! They had a little girl, Elizabeth Catherine Chait. She is 7.5 lbs. and 20 3/4 inches. She is a lucky little girl…Mike and Kim will make amazing parents!!! 🙂 My sister and I went to go visit them this week and I held her! haha I was so scared since she is so tiny and delicate.
The baby came a little earlier than they had anticipated…just by about a week. Everything worked out great and both Kim and baby Elizabeth are very healthy!!! 🙂
I’ve been making some really great food lately too. I will share a couple of recipes with you over the next few days. Today I will share with you a recipe I actually got from my boyfriend’s brother. He made this for us a couple of weeks ago and I loved it, so I decided to give it a shot myself. He based his off of a recipe he found on Smitten Kitchen.
Fusilli with Baked Tomato Sauce with Spinach & Goat Cheese
This recipe is SO simple and delicious. It is really quick and easy to make. You will love it. It has quickly become a favorite of mine. Thanks for introducing this recipe to me Evan!
- 3-4 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 pound cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup plain, dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound dried fusilli (corkscrew) or farfalline (butterfly) pasta
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, torn
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a baking dish/baking sheet with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the oil.
- Place the tomatoes cut side up in the dish/baking sheet. Gather all of the tomatoes in the center so they are all touching.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheeses, and garlic and toss with a fork to mix well. Sprinkle the bread-crumb mixture over the tomatoes, making sure that each cut side is well covered with the crumb mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and then the final tablespoon of olive oil. Bake until the tomatoes are cooked through and starting to brown on top, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, sauté garlic and olive oil. Add the spinach and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente. Time the pasta so it finishes cooking about the time the tomatoes are ready to come out of the oven.
- Combine the pasta, tomato mixture, and spinach. Garnish with basil and sprinkle with Goat Cheese.
You really must try this recipe. I love how something so simple can taste SO GOOD! I am really disappointed that I do not have the pictures to share with you!!
Tonight my family and some friends are coming over and my sister and I are making homemade pizza, salad, and strawberries & whipped cream for dessert. We already made the sauce and the dough. Everything looks delicious! We are going to be watching Game 7 of the Flyers vs. Bruins. It all comes down to this one game. Who will move on to the next round of the playoffs and who will be hitting the golf course? I have a lot of faith in the flyers…I really think they can win tonight. Let’s Pray.