While browsing around Target the other day, I saw that Giada De Laurentiis has a new line of products out. On the back of her Whole Wheat Penne Pasta, I saw a recipe that looked pretty good–so of course I tried it out!
Whole Wheat Penne with Green Beans, Lemon, & Ricotta
Makes 6-8 Servings.
- 1 package whole wheat penne rigate (1 pound)
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound French Green Beans, halved
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- zest of 1 lemon
- Options that I added: Basil, Parsley, & Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Transfer the hot pasta to a large bowl and add the ricotta. I seasoned the ricotta with salt & pepper. Toss to combine.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add green beans, garlic, salt and pepper; saute for 4 minutes. I also added crushed red pepper flakes. Add reserved pasta cooking liquid and continue cooking until tender, about 4 more minutes. Add the ricotta-coated pasta to the pan with the green beans; toss to combine. Add tomatoes; toss gently. I seasoned with basil & parsley. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with lemon zest.
I thought that this was a great recipe. Although, I did think it was missing something so that is why I added the basil & parsley. Does anyone have any other add-in suggestions to give this dish more of a kick?? Otherwise, this dish was awesome. Very simple, fresh, healthy, and quick to make. Enjoy!!